Spring Knit-along and Sew-along- Week 6 check in!

Hi everyone!
Almost ready to separate the sleeves!
I hope that you are all making progress on both your Goodale cardigans and skirts (if you are sewing as well)!  I’ve been admittedly remiss about knitting my Goodale due to some other work-related knitting that has been going on. As in-house designer here at Jimmy Beans, I often have to set aside less deadline-oriented knitting for designing. I don’t mind because designing is super fun, but it sometimes means that other projects sit on the needles a little too long! 
You'll notice my Goodale update picture to the right. I am two rows away from dividing for the sleeves and will probably do that tonight. You can’t really tell from this picture but my sweater already measures 10”! I’m not sure how the gauge became so off, but it’s probably ok if I have some extra length anyway. I was just surprised when I measured it the other day. I’ve followed the pattern exactly, but I think it’s just the gauge. In any case, I think I am going to get a ton of wear out of this once I am finished!

I ironed my fabric like a good girl.

Step 1 of french seams, sew the
sides together with the printed
side of the fabric facing out!
I also began work on my skirt just last night. I only had a few minutes before dinner so I cut and ironed the fabric (Amy Butler Twilight Peony in Azure) and sewed the french seams. French seams have to be my new favorite thing when it comes to sewing. They are by no means a new technique, but I recently fell in love with the amazingly neat and smooth inner seam they create. And they are SO simple too! You just place the fabric together with the printed side facing out and sew. Trim the edges down to about 1/8-1/4 of an inch, and turn inside out and iron down the seams. Then sew another seam with the printed sides of the fabric facing in. Now you have a nice clean seam on the inside that won’t fray! 
Sewing the inside seams-
Step 2 of French Seams.
Brett goes more into this in her book and in her video online that I shared in last week’s post. I highly recommend trying it if you haven’t already! I have a decent size stack of fabrics that I’ll be making into more of these skirts for summer in the coming weeks. I think they are becoming a new wardrobe staple! After I make a few more of those, I am planning to make a whole bunch of new pillow cases for my bed using the french seam technique. Brett gives a simple pattern for pillow cases in “Sewing in a Straight Line” as well. I have really been bit by the sewing bug!
Ready to go for the next steps!
I’ll finish my skirt in the next couple of days and I hope that you are all well on your way to finishing your new spring outfits! I would love to post some pictures of you wearing your finished outfits if you’ll let me! Feel free to e-mail photos directly to me at kristen@jimmybeanswool.com and I will include them in next week’s wrap up post in a gallery of FO’s! If you made both the sweater and skirt, I’d love to see them modeled together. If you just made one or the other, that’s fine too! Please send them along! I can’t wait to see what you all have created these past six weeks!
I hope you all have a fun and productive Memorial Day Weekend and I’ll look forward to showing off some of your FO’s next week!

Happy knitting and sewing!
Kristen

Pssst! Have you ordered your copy of Knit Red yet? They are here and ready to ship immediately! Yay! 

you might also like

Sewing in a Straight Line

No comments:

Post a Comment

FancyTheme