Back to sewing...

So much has been going on around here that I am sure that you all thought we had forgotten about our quilting. Not true! Here, in my first quilting post, you see the start of the project and the interesting choosing-of-the-fabric process. While we have been posting about all the recent travels to all the fantastic events, the quilt project has been moving forward in the background. So, I am going to give you a quick update on our sewing adventures. Since Laura is the novice seamstress (hasn't sewn a stitch yet) I thought it might be fun to 'interview' her about the process:

[Jeanne] How hard was it to choose your fabric combination for your quilt?
[Laura] Not as hard as I thought! once I figured out which birds to use, the rest just started to “appear”
[Jeanne] What attracted you to the color combinations? 
[Laura] They are subtle, but still fun (the yellow)!
[Jeanne] Why do you want to learn to sew?
[Laura]  Because, between sewing and knitting,  then I can make ANYTHING!!
[Jeanne] Will you use your quilt, or hang it on a wall? 
[Laura] Not sure yet. maybe a little of both? 
Discussing layout
Great answers Laura...thanks!! 
Laura has had a short break (2 weeks) from all the traveling to get the word out about our Stitch Red campaign and so last Thursday we went to her house to cut our quilts. Sandy had already cut hers and sewn it together (she's the teacher, so she's allowed to move ahead a bit ha ha) and wow did Laura and I learn a lot!! I have sewn a lot of things over the years, but have been nervous about quilting, so decided to learn how and reminded myself that I tell all you all the time to learn something new...so Jeanne take your own advice right? 
The most important thing was to make a safe place to cut (remember we had Huck around), so we chose her kitchen island and it was great! The foreground pile is my fabric waiting for its turn under the knife. You see Laura making her first cut with Sandy helping out.

She got almost all of her quilt cut while we were there (Huck wanted to be tucked in :), so Sandy left her cutting mat and rotary cutter, as well as her rulers and Laura finished up like a pro!

Great job Laura!!
I do have enough sewing and cutting experience that I cut most of mine at home later, but it was super helpful to have Sandy's fantastic skills and advice to get me started.

I can't wait to see how Laura's sewing comes together and will post some pictures on that really soon! 
Bethany has loaned her machine to Laura and this way she can see what she likes, or even if she likes it. 

However, judging from her response so far, I think she's hooked!  

I am super excited and not so nervous anymore...gee whiz it's just like knitting in the sense that sometimes you have to go back a few steps. 
Jeanne's layout


Let me know if you have any questions and I would love to hear about your sewing projects!


As always happy knitting, crocheting and sewing!


Jeanne


PS Have you heard about our fabulous Stitch Red campaign? Heart disease is the #1 killer of women, so Stitch Red was created in an effort to help create more awareness. You will want to check out out Stitch Red blog for all kinds of great information and guest bloggers, healthy tips and even heart healthy recipes!!

you might also like

stitch red

No comments:

Post a Comment

FancyTheme