Animal Prints are Back!


I admit, I'm normally not one to follow the latest and greatest fashion trends...but, lately, I've been pretty excited about the resurgence of animal motifs in the knitting/crochet industry. I love everything folksy, nature-inspired and adore animals so it seems like a match made in heaven!  Let's take a look -


********************************************************************

Let's start a few years back with the Majestic Moose vest pattern from the Knitty Winter 2011 issue. I love the entire ensemble of the outfit - a whimsical vest to soften up an otherwise woodsy, lumberjack-esque look. The moose is done using intarsia (a technique I have yet to master) and each side is knit separately - which means the backside is easy-peasy! These types of knits really inspire me to look more into intarsia and try to create my own animal graphics!



********************************************************************




Of course, the master of animal motifs done with intarsia is someone you've probably heard us raving about - Stephanie Dosen of Tiny Owl Knits!! I really can't express how much I love her patterns - they are just too cute! Plus, she makes little gnome homes...how can you not be in love?We currently do not carry the patterns shown but you can check them out on her ravelry page here!

************************************************************************************************************

Another guru of animal prints and motifs is the one and only Debbie Bliss! Her animal inspired knits usually show up in her Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazines, such as the picture to the right. Featured in the brand new Winter '12 issue, these adorable fox, owl, and panda (shown to the left) hats are too cute for words! I love the matching mittens - talk about a great stocking stuffer.


Debbie Bliss also shows off her intarsia talents with this pillow set of tiger print motifs. What a great way to brighten up a room! These pillows can be found in the '11 Fall/Winter issue.


************************************************************************************************************


The Knitscene '12 Fall issue is brimming with neat animal designs created from eyelets! Take the Huntress Shawl, for example. I am so excited to knit this little shawlette - it looks like so much fun! 
I have two skeins of Madelinetosh Tosh Merino in my stash (the Well Water color) that will be perfect.


The Nocturnal Pullover is also a favorite...shown in the same issue of Knitscene. Knit up in the luscious Shibui Baby Alpaca DK yarn, this owl pullover is not only darling but it will be oh-so soft to wear. mmmm....


************************************************************************************************************


 I'm not the only one who loves animal knits! Jeanne and Sandy have jumped on board and dove right in to knitting a new pattern we just started carrying - Night Birds by Sunday Knits. 

It was so cute seeing them together yesterday - pawing through the colors of Rowan Fine Tweed to pick just the right color combination. 


These pictures show Jeanne's progress...I can't believe she is already this far (she started last night)! I can't wait to see these two "Joes" wearing their matching birdie mitts. We'll be sure to take a picture and post on our project log, all in due time. 




************************************************************************************************************


As for myself? Well, of course I forgot my knitting today to show you...but I am almost done with the Tiny Owl Knits Deer with Antlers Hat

It's actually a lot easier (and faster!) than it looks. Everything is of course knitted separately and then sewn together at the end with simple whip stitch. I just have the antlers to go (which will then be hand felted)! Wish me luck!!


Well, I hope you enjoyed this little journey through the world of animal knitting! If you have any favorites, please share them with us - as you can see, I just can't get enough. :)

Happy knitting and crocheting!
Shevawn




you might also like

Tiny Owl Knits

4 comments:

  1. I like the way you made this article. Short but juicy. Thanks for sharing! Pay by Plate Ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is creative. The many pieces you linked to here sound interesting, and I can't wait to read them. Good job!

    LiteBlue USPS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Payroll Processing: A variety of payroll functions, such as tax, deduction, and wage calculation, are managed by ePayroll systems. By automating intricate computations, it minimizes human errors and conserves time. Visit EPAYROLL

    ReplyDelete

FancyTheme